httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject apache week and cookies
Date Thu, 30 May 1996 13:42:25 GMT

http://www.ukweb.com/support/apacheweek/96may24

"When a CGI program sends multiple cookie headers (Set-Cookie:), Apache
  merges them into one HTTP header. It does this with all headers of the
  same name, since this is a standard part of the HTTP specification.
  Unfortunately, the Netscape cookie specification does not allow
  multiple cookies on one header, but does allow multiple Set-Cookie:
  headers. While this breaks the HTTP specification, Apache will probably
  be updated in a future to send multiple cookies"

Would multiple cookie headers break the HTTP spec?   I think not.
My reading of the spec a while back gave me the impression that
multiple headers and merged headers are equivalent. Merged headers
are prefered because they save bandwidth.

rob