httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: No HOST header solutions?
Date Wed, 29 May 1996 22:38:38 GMT
  The other option, which I've also seen used, is to use cookies. (ack)
  Because you can restrict them to certain hosts, you can simply create
  a cookie named, say, "host", that contains the name of the host, and
  the browser will send it back with the correct entry.

Hmmm... what are the consequences of this for caches?  (Again, there
is a lot of existing cache-unfriendly practice out there; viz. current
treatment of SSI for example, which is particularly unfortunate given
sites whose entire content is scanned for SSI tags --- or given the
Pathfinder URL-mashing state schemes, for that matter; I'm just trying
not to deploy anything that makes the problem worse if there's a decent
alternative --- and from this perspective, the Alias is better; it gets
things cached twice at most.  Sigh...).

rst