httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: No HOST header solutions?
Date Wed, 29 May 1996 15:46:12 GMT

> On Wed, 29 May 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>
> >   HostGuess  www.apache.org      apache httpd ^/docs ^/dist
> >   HostGuess  www.hyperreal.com   ^/raves music zines
> >
> > Best idea I've seen to date...
>
> Except that it really isn't neccessary. The Alias command can be used
> instead.
>
> Alias /docs /export/pub/apache/docs

Does this put you in the right virtual log environment? I don't think
so... Customers will want their hits logged properly, so you need to
switch to the right virtual host and not rely on an Alias for the entire
set of hosts. Neither does it allow you to match on expressions inside the URL
and not just at the start.

> Actually, I've been thinking about what I said earlier, and examining the
> Referer: header might not be a bad idea. Once you've come to the site,
> and clicked a link, that header should contain the hostname for the
> rest of your journey through the site.

..another useful addition to a more complete solution, but it can't
be the complete solution itself. We're aiming this at clients that
probably don't send referer or don't send it correctly etc etc.