httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: mod_uri_remap.c
Date Wed, 29 May 1996 05:37:03 GMT
On 29 May 1996 03:17:51 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:

> > > This job could be done also via the more powerful and generic mod_rewrite:
> > >
> > >     RewriteRule ^/$ /rootfile.html
> >
> > Yep, I am currently using it; this is just an old leftover from before the
> > regexps time; since I was posting this blurp it went along.

> Do, given this, if we think mod_rewrite is the way to go, does it make
> mod_uri_remap redundant?  If the first subsumes the functionality of the
> latter, I'd prefer to go with that...

As the autor of mod_rewrite I say:

1. Yes, I'm sure that mod_rewrite subsumes the functionality of mod_uri_remap
   totally.
2. Yes, I think but are currently not 100% sure, that mod_rewrite subsumes
   also all functionality of mod_alias. I will check this fact in the next
   days, i.e. mod_alias is totally redundand if using mod_rewrite.  But I
   think this _IS_ correct. But I have to look more precisly at the Redirect
   and ScriptAlias directives of mod_alias to be 100% sure.

If mod_rewrite could really replace mod_alias and mod_uri_remap, then I will
vote for using it instead of the latter two ;-)

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@en.muc.de
                                        http://www.muc.de/~rse