httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: mod_uri_remap.c
Date Tue, 28 May 1996 13:43:08 GMT
On 28 May 1996 15:12:28 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:

> > I've moved the .c to /apache/dist/contrib/modules - if you want to
> > petition for it to be in the core distribution then make your case.

> I hereby petition for the module mod_uri_remap.c to become part of
> the core distribution :-) See http://me-www.jrc.it/dirkx/mod_uri_remap.html
> for some docs.

> It does
>     Maps 'null' '/' and '/.' to a specified URI
>     Effective rename on URI level.

This job could be done also via the more powerful and generic mod_rewrite:

    RewriteRule ^/$ /rootfile.html

Have a look at this module. It gives you the full power of regular
expressions to rewrite any kind of URLs. You can even rewrite URLs to URIs
(which leads to an automatic external redirection) or to a URL including the
QUERY_INFO part. This module can replace mod_uri_remap and mod_alias in
functionality (BTW: We use httpd.conf files here on our servers which _only_
has RewriteRule directives instead of the clumsy Alias, ScriptAlias, etc.
directives). And it has the ability to rewrite URLs by the help of external
database files!

For complete documentation (including real live examples) and distribution,
have a look at:

    http://mod_rewrite.sw.sdm.de/sw/mod_rewrite/

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall