httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "core dump reported almost every time
Date Tue, 28 May 1996 06:00:26 GMT
JimC> The new malloc() uses mmap() to allocate the vm, giving a
JimC> significant performance benefit to applications.  The problem is
JimC> that it is less forgiving of free()ing non-malloc()ed or already
JimC> free()ed vm.

Ben> Why does this give a performance benefit?

I knew someone would ask that.

I don't have the details; I got all I know from the linux-gcc mailing
list, but in any case the code was designed to take advantage of how
the kernel allocates vm.  The performance benefit may even be specific
to Linux/i386.  Or not.  (Though I read each post, I wasn't ready to
install new versions of all the apps that were incompatable with the
new lib.  As such, I don't remember all the specifics, just the
generalities.)

Various posts on the linux-gcc list reported visible improvements in a
number of cases.

With luck the problem is limtied to 1.0.....

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.	<URL:http://www.jhcloos.com/~cloos/>
cloos@jhcloos.com	Work: cloos@io.com