httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject mod_proxy changes
Date Mon, 27 May 1996 16:51:27 GMT
While I'm working on mod_proxy.c, I've compiled a short 8^) list of things
to be done. I'd appreciate comments on this, bearing in mind that I am
*not* addressing HTTP 1.1 requirements yet.

0) SOCKS proxy operation - working for http, not yet tested for ftp
	accept() is the interesting issue here.

1) Other proxy operation - fwtk http-gw, for instance

2) IP addresses don't work - fixed

3) SIGALRM on big cache cleanup - fixed

4) temp files #tmp not being removed - fixed

5) NoCaching <protocol>://hostname config directive needed

6) core dump if no / in URI - fixed

7) PF_INET should be AF_INET in socket() calls - fixed

8) need a generic mod_proxy.c w/protocol-specific submodules
	mod_proxy_http, etc.

9) Add other protocol support - https, gopher, wais, nntp, etc.

And then there's Ben's list:

10) Make it garbage collect in the background, not while someone is
	waiting for a response!

11) Check the logic thoroughly.

12) Empty directories are only removed the next time round (but this
	does avoid two passes). Consider doing them the first time round.

My plan is to complete 5, 10, 11, and 12, and possibly get https working.
Does this make mod_proxy usable for 1.1? Items 8 and 9 are probably 1.2
things...

I'll also get as much further as I can on 0 and 1, but I'm not making any
more promises. 8^)

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.