httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "core dump reported almost every time
Date Sun, 26 May 1996 17:22:52 GMT
So let me see if I have this right:

Old Linux = no core dump
New Linux + libc 5.3.12 = core dump
IRIX 5.3 + gcc 2.7.2 = no core dump
All other OS so far = no core dump

Am I wrong, or does the new Linux malloc() look broken?

Is Apache the only app having this problem on Linux?

Why not try GNU malloc() on Linux, to help narrow down the possibilities?
I assume the one from libg++ would be OK to use.

If it isn't this, it could be the shared memory functions, shm*() or sbrk().

Aram Mirzadeh liltingly intones:

> This is a report of the problems with libc 5.3.x.  I've had over a dozen of
> these reports.  malloc defenetly seems to be the problem.
>
> <Aram>
>

> >The problem is related to new versions of libc. Linux libc 5.3.12.  The main
> >difference between libc 5.2.x & 5.3.x is that a totally new version of
> >malloc() was used.  So I suspect there may be a memory allocation problem
> >with apache and the newest version of libc.  The author of libc, HJ Lu said
> >he thought this was also true.  Please test this with gcc 2.7.2 and the other
> >utilities found at ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/packages/GCC/
> >
> >John Taylor
> >john@www.cviog.uga.edu

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began
to suspect 'Hungry' ..."
		-- Gary Larson, "The Far Side"