httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Sussman <mydd...@vidya.com>
Subject Re: mmap patch for Apache-1.0.5
Date Fri, 24 May 1996 22:11:55 GMT

> The original message contained a patch to Apache-1.0.5 to read from disk
> using mmap() rather than read(), which gives a measurable performance boost
> when reading from large files.  My response pointed out that sfio, a fairly
> well-known stdio replacement, does I/O to disk files with mmap() by default
> (you can tell it not to).  Sfio also has some other very nice features; the
> most notable for this group is that it allows "disciplines" to be pushed
> onto streams --- these, in turn, can handle errors, and intercept read()
> write() and seek() and redefine their semantics.  (And yes, they can be
> stacked).

This sounds really nice and it would allow me to do some things that I have
been wanting to do for quite some time (like having a module parse the
output of other modules).  Is anyone familiar enough with this package to
consider integrating some of it features with the buffer code we now have?

-adam