httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: sfio [was Re: mmap patch for Apache-1.0.5]
Date Fri, 24 May 1996 21:17:45 GMT
  I think that John is right... That Ben's buff does get around some of
  the speed limitations in many stdios without requiring mmap...

I don't think that's what he actually said... he was, instead, pointing
out that sfio would still involve a few more in-memory copies than using
his patch directly.  In any case, the Apache 1.1 dev builds do *not* use
the buff.c stuff for file I/O; they still use native stdio for that.

(As to whether stdio performance limitations are a hangup for 1.0, I
suppose it's *possible*, but my first-order intuition is that the
differences --- for communication with clients, where the buff.c stuff
*is* used --- would probably be mostly accounted for by different
buffering policies; a few setbuf's in the stdio version would be the
way to check if anyone's interested).

rst