httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: sfio [was Re: mmap patch for Apache-1.0.5]
Date Fri, 24 May 1996 20:45:14 GMT
John Heidemann wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 1996 14:11:28 EDT, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> >Ummmm... hate to keep harping on sfio, but it *does* do this sort of thing
> >by default, on systems where mmap is available (among its other nice features).
> >It would be interesting to see how performance with this patch compares to the
> >unmodified distribution linked against the sfio stdio-compatibility headers
> >and/or libs...
>
> I haven't been following Apache development for long, but it seems
> like Apache-1.1's buff.c (a fairly small, Apache-specific stdio
> replacement) fills a similar role as sfio (a presumably large, but
> well-exercised and complete, stdio replacement done at Bell Labs).
> I'm not sure you'd want both of them in Apache since their purposes
> are so similar.  Which you want depends on how you trade-off size
> vs. completeness vs. having-the-person-who-wrote-it-on-your-mailing-list.

At least on my machines, there is a BIG difference (improvement, that is)
between 1.0.5 and 1.1b3 (even when I disable the shared-mem scoreboard
stuff).

I think that John is right... That Ben's buff does get around some of
the speed limitations in many stdios without requiring mmap, which
some nasty SysVs don't have... Not sure how easy it would be to
"port" it to shmget()... I'm sure it would be tough since the
philosophy between mmap and shmget are so different.