httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: mmap patch for Apache-1.0.5
Date Fri, 24 May 1996 18:38:10 GMT
The original message contained a patch to Apache-1.0.5 to read from disk
using mmap() rather than read(), which gives a measurable performance boost
when reading from large files.  My response pointed out that sfio, a fairly
well-known stdio replacement, does I/O to disk files with mmap() by default
(you can tell it not to).  Sfio also has some other very nice features; the
most notable for this group is that it allows "disciplines" to be pushed
onto streams --- these, in turn, can handle errors, and intercept read()
write() and seek() and redefine their semantics.  (And yes, they can be
stacked).

rst