httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <>
Subject Re: (fwd) Re: Apache vs Netscape Commerce Server
Date Wed, 22 May 1996 02:52:32 GMT
Rob Hartill liltingly intones:
> > We just migrated from the Apache Server that came with BSDI2.1.  With
> > Apache our average load with only 4 minimum and 32 Max hosts running
> > was .70.  While with Netscape and several virtual servers and 16 Min -
> > 32 Max each, our average load is .09
> >
> > Seems to be running much faster, as-well-as the configuation and
> > changes via the administrator is quicker and easier.
> What version would he be running?.
I believe it's either 1.0.2 or 1.0.3.

> As they say, your mileage may vary.
> Do the min and max settings have anything remotely like the same
> purpose under netscape?.
Yes, they're equivalent. I only remember seeing loads of 0.7 on 2.0,
at least, when running something like 80-90 children, most of which
were active and firing CGI scripts. That's from when we were running
1.0.[23] here. I hope somethings not weird with 2.1 and 1.0. I've
only run 1.1something there so far. I'll try the distributed release.
Maybe it's built with host name lookups or IDENT on.

Chuck Murcko	N2K Inc.	Wayne PA
And now, on a lighter note:
Real programmers don't comment their code.  It was hard to write, it
should be hard to understand.

View raw message