httpd-dev mailing list archives

From do...@osf.org (Doug MacEachern)
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "the check auth function for a module is called multiple times per access" on BSDI (fwd)
Date Tue, 21 May 1996 14:33:15 GMT
At 08:29 AM 5/21/96 -0500, new-httpd@hyperreal.com wrote:

>This *is* a rather odd situation shaping up.

Indeed.

Why not just include mod_auth_dbi which lets you authenticate against mSQL,
along with Oracle, Sybase, Informix, DB2, more and more to come!  No group
support yet though :(
Seriously though, I was confused by these two mod_auth_msql versions myself
a while back (before 1.1bx).
I used Vivek's simply because it was in
www.apache.org/contrib/modules/
I had heard about another one (Dirk's), but I figured Vivek's was the one to
go with since it was availible on the apache.org server.
In fact, I used Vivek's as the framework for mod_auth_dbi.
This is not to say his is better, I never even looked at Dirk's, and became
more confused when I heard version other than the one from contrib/modules/
was in the distribution.

So, I am just an example of someone who is confused by all this.
I'm sure there will be more confused people too.  It would be great to
combine Dirk and Vivek's work into one module, that has all the features of
both.
Then, users won't be confused and things just work as expected.
If this can't be done, it should be made *very clear* somewhere that there
are *two* mod_auth_msql modules (which would be a shame), regardless of
which (if either) ends up in the distribution.
Let's not focus on "Dirk's module" or "Vivek's module", rather, the "Apache
module".

-Doug