httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Frontpage
Date Sat, 18 May 1996 16:53:02 GMT

Has anyone in the group looked at, or even installed the
Microsoft Frontpage server extension?

I've had a request to install this beast and after looking
at the install docs I'm asking myself if this is some joke.
It, at the very least, requires web documents to be writeable
by the CGI "bot" that comprises Frontpage. If that's not enough
it comes preconfigured with *every* security hole wide
open for cute things like the ability to write to pipes etc.

I'd be interested in reading comments from others who may have
dealt with this. This "extension" seems to be a perfect argument
for a per/directory setuid feature. I'm also trying to think of
who I might use mod_actions to properly deal with it.

Ideas and experience welcome.