httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: data types in CGI
Date Fri, 17 May 1996 10:52:36 GMT

> I'm working on some module code that is doing quite a bit of
> forms generation. One thing that I am finding very frustrating
> about working in C with the CGI interface is the conversion of
> everything to and from string types.
>
> Is it a ludicrous consideration to possibly extend the CGI
> spec to allow preservation of integer types? Is there something
> I'm missing?

Probably. It'd need CGI variables to be passed by clients with
type information.

e.g.  (int)age=10&(char)name=foo

because Apache wouldn't know if something was meant to be a string or
an integer, and guessing is a bad idea....

least_favourite_film=10&favourtite_film=jaws

What ya' gonna do with "10" ?

Now if you use perl.............