httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: The business case for apache
Date Thu, 16 May 1996 12:47:35 GMT
Michael Smith liltingly intones:

> OK dudes, I need help here.  We are going to be setting up a secure
> server at our site in the near future.  Naturally I want to use
> Apache-SSL, but there is pressure for some Netscape server or other.
>
> Of course I am convinced of the merits of Apache, and I think I can
> convince the other people here of that fact.  However, the argument that
> I have most difficulty combatting is that other companies (which we will
> be hoping to sign up with access to our site) will have more confidence
> with Netscape, because it is "the big commercial product".  The list of
> companies running apache doesn't seem to include many "big names" - Sun,
> for example, use Netscape (despite that article).
>
> Any comments which might help me make a more persuasive case much
> appreciated!

Here are a couple:

1) The support's abominable, considering what you pay.

2) The server (1.1, at least) crashes about once a week, and stops
   responding to queries (without crashing) 2-3 times a week. We had
   to write a monitoring and alert package here to stay on top of this.
   We run the BSDI version here.

We're now going to go to Apache-SSL, $6000 poorer for the experience.
A year ago, we were stuck, since Verisign (ugh) wasn't issuing
certificates for anything but Netscape. Verisign is another story. 8^(

Sun uses Apache on java.sun.com. At least last time I looked.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Emerson's Law of Contrariness:
	Our chief want in life is somebody who shall make us do what we
can.  Having found them, we shall then hate them for it.