httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sam...@c2.org
Subject Re: Apache legal question
Date Tue, 14 May 1996 18:27:54 GMT
> Something like that. I think that just ensuring that "Apache/whatever"
> is first is fine, and even though you're basing it off Ben's code, I'd
> say "Apache/1.05 SSL-US/1.1.1" would be good enough. After all,
> there's something to be said for conserving bytes (not sending the
> word "Apache" three times). But that's the basic idea, I think.

	This is certainly compelling so it should be changed. My one
problem with this is marketing-driven, which I know is Evil on this
list, but still.. if Netcraft keys on only the first field, then
Netcraft won't reflect Apache-SSL's growing marketshare, which will
hurt my image.
	How does Netcraft deal with servers that respond like that?

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
http://www.c2.net/ (or login as "guest")		sameer@c2.net