httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "Failed to run apache on port < 1024 from root" on OTHER:PTX (fwd)
Date Mon, 13 May 1996 23:59:19 GMT

not acked

From: fred@insys.fr
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Mon May 13 16:20:05 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Failed to run apache on port < 1024 from root" on OTHER:PTX

Submitter: fred@insys.fr
Operating system: OTHER:PTX, version: 2
Version of Apache Used: 1.1b2 and under
Extra Modules used: mod_status mod_authdbm
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
I run apache on  a Sequent S27 under PTX2

When i run apache on port 80 (i run it from root
and i set User as guest and Group as Other) it wont
work:

I get in error log
Socket - Can't bind... from child process

Is it a problem of my OS implemention or apache bug ;-( ?
( i think that forked child (guest/other)
of apache want to reply on port 80 and the OS say:
not root... no reply on port 80...)

Thanks a lot for your real good server...

I use a cern httpd to redirect request from port 80
to port 8010 (http://www.insys.fr) but if can throw
cern away and only use apache... it will be infinitely better.

Cordialy,

Bye.

Frederic DRAN - Network Administrator - FredericD@insys.fr

--