httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aram Mirzadeh <...@qosina.com>
Subject Re: Ad on the www.apache.site? (fwd)
Date Mon, 13 May 1996 20:51:36 GMT
At 02:27 PM 5/13/96 MDT, you wrote:
>One problem nobody has mentioned so far are the mirror sites. Hyperreal
>is only one of a dozen sites that mirror the information.

Why is that a problem?  If they're mirroring us, then they'll get the same
ads, so this is a point on which we can say that you'll have to pay more.
Because it is getting mirrored.  ( If we decide to do it, which seems
unlikely at the point. )

>For the low access rate www.apache.org/ gets and the low incomes it'd
>generate ( @5c per ad ), I can't see advertising working for us.
>Far better would be a sponsors page which lists companies (such as Organic)
>that are subsidising the project. A $500-$1000 donation per year donation
>would get your company's name on that list. This money could be used for

This is an excellent idea.  I was talking to our controller, and he said
something that I didn't even think about.   If apache doesn't ask for
sponsers very few people are going to go look into it by themselves.
They need the open door to walk through.  People like Intel, and Novell
and MCI don't go asking around saying ' we would like to sponser you.'
They pill through the list of applications for sponcership and then pick
the ones they like.

BTW, I think organic has already given alot to the apache project... they
should get a honorable mention at the top of the list if we ever decide
to do this... maybe even if we don't.