httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: require-client functionality
Date Sat, 11 May 1996 17:58:39 GMT
Paul sez:
> > we need to stop being a
> > bunch of hackers having fun with no regard for the product and start
> > behaving like a product development team.
>
> Says who?  :-)
>
> Your concerns are perfectly reasonable but you need to consider the
> history of Apache a bit more. The original purpose of Apache was to
> get a httpd that did what we (the developers) wanted it to as well as
> the stuff the end users want.
>
> It'd be a shame to completely loose what remains of the original spirit
> of the project. Keep the rules and protocols, but lets also keep some
> slack which is ultimately kept in check by common sense and peer review.

I have to agree with the 'bad-boy' Rob's comments on this.
I'm much less concerned with public impression of this group
than I am with the flexibility and experimental nature that
brought this group together.

One thing that CVS was supposed to give us was less restriction
of added features. Have we branched 1.1b so that those interested
in release engineering can do that, and those interested in breaking
code can continue doing that?