httpd-dev mailing list archives

From do...@osf.org (Doug MacEachern)
Subject mod_perl-0.50a2
Date Thu, 09 May 1996 21:09:58 GMT
I have a new version of mod_perl together for those who would like to try it
out.  There are actually 2 apache modules now: mod_perl and mod_perl_fast.

>From the README:
---
These are Apache modules that embed a perl interpreter in the HTTP server.
The benefit of this is that we are able to run scripts without going through
the expensive (fork/exec/parameter passing/parsing, etc.) CGI interface.
The scripts will run faster and they have direct access to the C API of the
server.

The current approach of mod_perl is to allocate and construct a new perl
interpreter for each request.  The interpreter will then parse and run a
perl script and we finally destruct the perl interpreter in order to free
memory consumed.

The current approach of mod_perl_fast is to allocate and contruct one perl
interpreter when the server starts.  At the same time, load, parse and run
one perl script, which may pull in other perl code such as your favorite
modules.
Then, a subroutine in memory is called to handle each request.
The interpreter is destroyed upon restart or shutdown of the server.

----
There is more info in the package at:
http://www.osf.org/~dougm/perl/mod_perl-0.50a2.tar.gz

All of this is still in alpha, nothing is set in stone, waiting to hear the
good, the bad and the ugly from all of you...

-Doug