httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: mod_perl_fast anyone?
Date Wed, 08 May 1996 16:45:29 GMT

> Thanks to a kick start from someone I used to work with, I've made it to the
> "future" section of mod_perl's readme.  When the server starts, a perl
> script is picked up via a 'PerlScript' config directive, parsed and run.
> So, the script should consist mostly of subroutines, along with use()'s and
> require()'s for loading perl modules.  It may also include code you only
> want to happen once, such as a opening a database connection.
> Then, a per_dir_config PerlResponseSub command tells the module which
> subroutine to call for handling the request.

Mmmm, sounds good. Here's how I'd like to be able to use such a beast
(using some abstract syntax..)

PerlScript myperl1 /xxx/foo.pl
PerlScript myperl2 /yyy/bar.pl

# this does the initialisation.

<Location /cgi-bin/>
PerlHandler myperl1
</Location>

<Location /stuff/>
PerlHandler myperl2
</Location>

then a request for URL
   my.server.com/cgi-bin/hello
would call myperl1's  "hello" subroutine

   my.server.com/stuff/world/weee
would call myperl2's  "world" subroutine with PATHINFO set to "/weee"

and if it can make coffee and wash my dishes it'd be even better.

> Here are some times, using perl's Benchmark module and libwww-perl as the
>
> Benchmark: timing 1 iterations of cgi, embedded...
>        cgi:  2 secs
>   embedded:  0 secs

Oooo, zero time. You get bonus points if you can make it negative  ;-)

> Quite a difference.

indeed.

rob