httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: 1.1b3
Date Wed, 08 May 1996 15:49:45 GMT

> This has come up before (many months ago). My opinion is that if
> there are known bug fixes then a release should wait for them, but
> not necessarily the other way around, i.e. a release needn't wait for
> a bug fix to appear if it's generally heading in the right direction.
>
> If we're talking of a couple of days, then yes, we should wait. If it's
> going to take longer then release something better to fill the gap.

What's the point of rolling another beta release when you know there
are still things wrong with it? If there were a lot of people trying them
(which I don't think there are, it's just us mainly) then all that would
result is a load of further bug reports stating that bug X still exists.

Applying patch fixes to "official" releases is a different issue altogether.

Think about this, do you want lots of buggy servers out there in use?
If not don't make them available because the survey has shown that once
someone's installed something they usually stick with and do not track
frequent updates.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155