httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Apache legal question
Date Tue, 07 May 1996 20:25:22 GMT
Paul Richards liltingly intones:

> The bottom line I guess is this, Cygnus can do what they're going to
> do without contacting us or working closely with us. The fact that
> they are keen to forge links should be seen as a good thing and
> rather than trying to get them caught up in our manner of working
> (as we are over this naming wrangle) we should just gratefully
> accept anything they are able to put back into the project.

I agree with this. Maybe I was waffling by not just saying it. Apache and
Cygnus groups seem to compliment each other very well, functionally. This
makes for a better Apache, from which both benefit.

> If Cygnus are interested, we could branch the tree and have an Apache
> branch and a Cygnus branch and they could update their branch as and
> when they wish with their own development sources at Cygnus and we can
> then merge any of the bits we want into our branch and they could
> do the same.

This is the best suggestion so far. I was loath to propose it, not being
the one who built or maintains the trees.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
This is your fortune.