httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: require-client functionality
Date Tue, 07 May 1996 10:08:55 GMT

> > On the two systems (hpux, freebsd) I've used mod_xinclude, I haven't
> > needed to pull in the extra code. Most modern systems are probably in
> > the same boat, so impact should be minimal.
>
> It's not as insignificant a change as you seem to suggest. You've got to make
> sure that those systems that don't need the code don't inadvertantly end up
> with it and vice versa.

Put #ifdef's around the regexp stuff so that it only has any affect
when a CFLAG is used.
This'll make it invisible to everyone unless they go out of their way
to switch it on (e.g. if the play with mod_xinclude and find out they
need it).

> That means changes to the build system  and a complete
> round of testing on all the supported platforms to make sure it works.

if it's #ifdef'd out by default then the testing will by a quick compile.

> This is not what should be occuring after a beta snapshot.

Maybe not, but maybe it is worth bending the rules if people think
that the benefits outweigh any 'new bug' concerns.

rob
--
   Windows NT  -  where programs go to die.