httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: require-client functionality
Date Tue, 07 May 1996 09:57:32 GMT

Paul writes,

> Rob (Hartill) and some others here have a wacky idea about release
> engineering.

:-)

> This needs to get sorted out pretty sharpish. The last release was an
> embarrasment since there were numerous serious bugs in it that had to be
> promptly fixed.

Out of curiosity, which release had major bugs that were an embarassment?.
I thought 1.0.[35] were pretty good.

> we need to stop being a
> bunch of hackers having fun with no regard for the product and start
> behaving like a product development team.

Says who?  :-)

Your concerns are perfectly reasonable but you need to consider the
history of Apache a bit more. The original purpose of Apache was to
get a httpd that did what we (the developers) wanted it to as well as
the stuff the end users want.

It'd be a shame to completely loose what remains of the original spirit
of the project. Keep the rules and protocols, but lets also keep some
slack which is ultimately kept in check by common sense and peer review.

rob