httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: background CGI bug
Date Fri, 03 May 1996 08:47:50 GMT

> > 3. In regard to people not testing... well, those patches were all
> >    sitting in httpd/incoming/patches for a while... I built two
> >    pre-CVS releases containing the patches. I made sure that everyone
> >    agreed that they should be included. So it may in fact have nothing
> >    to do with CVS. Same thing would have happened with patch-and-vote
> >    because, in fact, these patches *were* voted upon.
>
> Regardless of how the bug got in or who voted for the patches, a fix
> is needed before 1.1 goes out the door. That fact the patch files

Agreed.

> are lying around somewhere (I hope) to be reversed for bug tracing
> purposes is a good advertisment for keeping them archived in an easy
> to browse format.

Disagree. In fact, cvs has allowed the problem to be narrowed down very
quickly using the technique I outlined. The problem, in fact, that prevents
it being narrowed down to a single patch, as cvs allows, is that the single
commit at fault happens to be a mammoth one that contains all those damn patch
files we used to use :-) I did say at the time that they should be committed
individually.

If this bug had been introduced *after* we started using cvs properly we'd
have a single patch identified that causes the problem.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155