httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: mod_status again
Date Thu, 02 May 1996 21:57:53 GMT
Jim Jagielski liltingly intones:

> Chuck Murcko wrote:
> > You can do this by reverting to the original http_main.c or reversing
> > that part of the patch. The scoreboard slot total *is* the total for the
> > child, though, since that count is cleared when a server dies.

I forgot to say 'when MaxRequestsPerChild is set to 0'. And it's as you
say, the my_ stuff is what clears when a server dies.

> No it's not. It's the total _for that slot_, which could have been used
> by many children processes. For example, one child could be given slot #5,
> the child then dies and then, after awhile, a new child gets slot #5
> as well. The "slot total" will remain the same, but we have no idea of
> how the current child has been used.

Agreed. I missed that one. 8^(

> That's another reason why I prefer the "original" way that increment_counts
> worked.
>
> Once again, if there's some good idea/need/desire for a "per connection"
> counter, I'd be happy to fold that in. It's simple. It would involve,
> however, even more data being displayed on the status screen.
>
> Sound OK?

Sure does. We should wait to see what the rest of the list thinks. For now,
just not using the http_main.c changes preserves the old behavior. As I said,
neither of the additional metrics folks seem interested in (current
connection counts & bytes and average. time to service requests) need go
into the scoreboard.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
The superfluous is very necessary.