httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "HostnameLookups off and access control" on HPUX (fwd)
Date Thu, 02 May 1996 16:47:33 GMT

Not acked. I felt like flaming him for his "i'm too lazy
to explain this to users, so you must fix it attitude."

From: ccount@mit.edu
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Thu May  2  9:41:10 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "HostnameLookups off and access control" on HPUX

Submitter: ccount@mit.edu
Operating system: HPUX, version:
Version of Apache Used: 1.1b2
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
With hostnamelookups off, access control can only be done
by ip address.  e.g. within a <Limit>...</Limit>
allow 18
works, but not
allow mit.edu

hostnamelookups can be overridden in the server config files
on a per directory basis to allow restrictions by name,
but this is not practical when a user wants to add restrictions.

I also don't want to have to explain to users that instead
of 'allow mit.edu' they have to use 'allow 18 and allow 128.whatever'
and so on.

Unless <limit> can be used with names even with hostnamelookups off,
hostnamelookups off has limited utility.

And this behaviour should be documented in the HostnameLookups
documentation.

Thanks,
Craig