httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: mod_status -> CGI
Date Thu, 02 May 1996 14:54:17 GMT
Rob Hartill liltingly intones:

> Just thinking..
>
> Is there any mileage in having an option to let mod_status POST raw
> status info into a CGI script and let the CGI process it in any way it
> chooses ?
>
> I know we can get some raw info out of mod_status for processing on the
> client, but might be useful to have an option to do this on the server-side.

There is. There are also disadvantages.

Pro:
	custom formatting
	greater ease of mods
	uses less memory systemwide, potentially

Con:
	uses more CPU, potentially, fork/exec/load+possible_interpreter
	slower, potentially

It's probably a more useful idea for busy sites than not-so-busy ones.
Either method can easily speak to an off-host data reduction server,
or write a file that gets pulled off to another host.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Rudin's Law:
	If there is a wrong way to do something, most people will do it
every time.