httpd-dev mailing list archives

From gord...@cygnus.com (Gordon Irlam)
Subject fyi: Cygnus and Apache
Date Thu, 02 May 1996 02:37:52 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to let people in on on Cygnus's plans for supporting Apache,
and get whatever feedback people might have to offer.

(Background: Cygnus is a company that specializes in providing
commercial support for free software.  Currently, our main product
offerings are the GNU compiler suite, and Kerberos network security.
There are also several otehr things we hack around on, and release to
the net as free software, but as yet don't officially support: the
DejaGNU testing framework, and the PRMS bug management system are two
examples.  Some people prefer to use Cygnus tools rather than
retrieving software from the net because we offer: stable tested
releases, pre-built binaries, documentation, a support number to call
for help, a guarantee to quickly fix any bugs encountered, and
complete unencumbered source code for all our products.)

We are now in the process of creating a toolkit for use in Internet
and Intranet environments.  Our initial I*Net product will include
commercial support for the following technologies: Apache, Perl,
Tcl/Tk, and Expect.

As much as possible we try and work with the net community in
developing our software.  Any enhancements or bug fixes we make we
release back to the net community, and we try to do the right thing as
far as listening to, working with, and supporting the net, is
concerned.

We fully intend to try and live up to these same goals in offering
support for Apache.

Our initial I*Net release will occur sometime towards the end of this
month.  For all intents and purposes the product we ship will be the
same as Apache/1.0.5.  In our initial release we will only be
supporting Solaris, HPUX, IRIX, and AIX.  We plan to improve this in
the future.  We expect to be able to provide a beta I*Net release that
people can download and play with fairly soon.  We'll send an email
message to this list when it is available.

We have been putting a fair amount of effort into our first release,
but most of it is unseen since it has largely been a learning process
for us, as we have been learning more about Apache, integrate it in
with our source tree, and acquired the resources we need to be able to
build and test releases.

People at Cygnus you might like to know about include:

   - Tom Tromey, tromey@cygnus.com, our chief hacker
   - Gordon Irlam, gordoni@cygnus.com, hacker wannabe come project manager
   - Philip Peak, philip@cygnus.com, VP Engineering
   - Eilish McCaffrey, emccaffr@cygnus.com, ESD Business Manager

Me and Tom can deal with most of the more technical issues, and we can
always point you toward Philip or Eilish if you might are interested
in any more business related issues.

Assuming our product sells well, it is likely there will be a few new
positions opening up in our group in the next 2-3 months.  So, if you
might be interested just drop us a line.

Also, once again assuming our product is successful, we should be in a
position to give something back to the Apache group in a few months
time.  So, if the Apache Group is in need of ftp space, improvements
to the web site, release and testing resources, project management,
just let us know.  (We could actually offer some of this stuff before
then, but I'd prefer to wait until we can guarantee the management
backing to provide these things to the Apache Group long term).
Please let me know of any specific needs, the above are just intended
as examples.  I can't make any promises, but I can try and do my best.

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions
regarding our plans to offer support for Apache, and I will do my best
to answer them.

                                        thanks,
                                                Gordon Irlam
                                                I*Net development
                                                Cygnus Support

PS: BTW, this isn't intended to be an official product announcement.