httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "Question about use of htaccess." on HPUX (fwd)
Date Wed, 01 May 1996 18:46:30 GMT

Not acked...

Date: Wed May  1 11:19:35 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Question about use of htaccess." on HPUX

Operating system: HPUX, version:
Version of Apache Used: 0.8.14
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem:

This may not be a bug, but merely a misunderstanding
about the way the access control works.  I wanted to
know if I am doing something wrong before I try to
install a new version of the server.

Access control by domain name does not work like NCSA
server.  The following is an example which is given by
the NCSA documentation on their server and the way they
specify the .htaccess file using allow/deny from
domainname.  This does not work on the Apache server
version 0.8.14 .  Instead if we remove the Auth* lines
it seems to work.

AuthUserFile  /dev/null
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName ByPassword
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from
allow from
allow from

Additionally, if I am using access by username/password
is there a limit to the number of users which can be
list on one line in the group file.  If there is can
that line be broken up as in the following.  The NCSA
server and yours seem to be different in this as well.

group_name:  user1 user2 user3
group_name:  user4 user5 user6
group_name:  user7 user8

----- End of forwarded message from -----