httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Peters <...@Jester.CC.MsState.Edu>
Subject Re: Solaris Question
Date Mon, 01 Apr 1996 15:08:11 GMT
On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Well I seem to be successfully running a chroot'ed Apache.
>
> One question for those in the know about Solaris....
>
> There is a file /etc/.name_service_door which the BIND stuff
> is wanting to open frequently.
>
> -r--r--r--   1 root     root           0 Mar 27 19:39 /etc/.name_service_door
>

> It can't seem to be copied or viewed as the system thinks it is a
> special file. Doesn't look like a special file...??  Any hints
> would be greatly appreciated.

Its used by nscd, the Name Services Cache Daemon.  This daemon uses a new
(and as yet unpublished) IPC mechanism in Solaris 2.5 called doors.

See the man pages for door(2) and nscd(1M) for what few details are
currently available.

Frank Peters - UNIX Systems Group Leader - Mississippi State University
        fwp@CC.MsState.Edu - 601-325-7030 - FAX: 601-325-8921
                <URL:http://www2.msstate.edu/~fwp/>