httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Apache & DBI (fwd)
Date Tue, 23 Apr 1996 03:00:19 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:50:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jared Rhine <jared@organic.com>
Subject: Apache & DBI

Cool.  This is the same guy who whipped up a proxy server which
precompiled all the perl source from all your CGIs and then used embedded
perl to execute the CGIs.

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Doug MacEachern <dougm@osf.org>
Sender: owner-perldb-interest@fugue.com
To: dbi-dev@fugue.com, dbi-users@fugue.com
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 20:04:39 -0400 (EDT)

I've put together an Apache authentication module that enables your Apache
server to authenticate against any database that has a DBI driver.
It embeds DBI and the driver of your choice, configured in .htaccess
files.  I thought I'd run it by y'all, and let you test and comment before
I tell anyone else.  Naturally, there are trade-offs and issues.
Performance is slower than text or DBM files, but, well, all those reasons
most commercial database engines cost $$$.  Storing certain information in
.htaccess may not safe, but this no different than any other DBI app.  The
DBI and DBD::* modules may be in a place that the embedded interpreter
can't find on it's own, but you can add paths in .htaccess that get pushed
into @INC.  Speaking of which, maybe Tim or someone else knows why
incpush() is not part of libperl.a?  It's real handy for this type of
thing.  You can grab what you need from:
http://www.osf.org/~dougm/perl/mod_auth_dbi.tar.gz

Let me know if you have any comments, problems, etc...

- -Doug