httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Apache cannot handle multiple encoding types per document (fwd)
Date Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:56:56 GMT
On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> > 	[Unlike NCSA], Apache cannot handle multiple encoding types per
> > document.
>
> One problem is that, according to all HTTP/1.0 drafts, you can't have
> more than one Content-Encoding per document.  It only appears in
> HTTP/1.1.  But maybe it isn't that important.
>
> Another minor nit I have is that you're abusing the intent of
> Content-Encoding.  Tar-ing and Bundle-ing of documents aren't strictly
> speaking encodings.  Says the draft for HTTP/1.1:
>
>   Content-Encoding may be used to indicate any additional content codings
>   applied to the type, usually for the purpose of data compression, that
>   are a property of the resource requested.

I agree.  Furthermore, I believe that HTTP headers are defined to be
order-inspecific - which means if you have two Content-Encoding headers,
the browser can not be sure which to apply first.  Having two
Content-types similarly does not make much sense.  One way around this,
depending on how much flexibility you have, is to define a different type
of encoding, like "x-tar-gzip", which is defined to be a gzip'd tar of
a collection of documents.  Of course most browsers don't let you define
new encoding decoders on the fly (hell, some of the most popular browsers
do nothing with encoding anyways!)

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/