httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark J Cox <m...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: mod_status
Date Tue, 02 Apr 1996 07:40:09 GMT
On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> The thought occurs to me that it would be nice if we could save
> state by writing the scoreboard file to disk, and reloading it
> at startup....

Yes, this is the one difficulty - you lose all your nice information when
the server dies or is HUPd.  At telescope.org a cron job runs a Perl
script every 3 minutes and obtains the "status?auto" page.  It gets all
the figures and sticks them on one line.  It appends this to a log file of
todays date.  Using this file you can then draw the pretty graphs and
analyse how many requests/bytes you are serving per minute. I'll finish
tidying it and stick in in /support/ along with the graph stuff to follow
later still.

The only concern I have is that the scoreboard now consists of over a
hundred bytes per process;  I wonder what the performance hit is on this
with non-memory scoreboards.  If it isn't much we could remove the
STATUS_INSTRUMENTATION defines.

Mark