httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: API version #define
Date Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:46:26 GMT
On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca wrote:

>  > Um... it does. Has for some time. From http_config.h:
>
> > #define MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER 19950525
>
> Well, yes, I looked at that, but it hasn't changed in ages even though
> you changed the API, so it isn't extremely useful.  1.1b2 says 19950525
> as does the 1.02 source tree I have sitting around.

Note: this is not any API change that *I* made we are specifically
talking about, it is API changs made by David Robinson. Just so we're
clear.

At any rate.. so what? The proposal was to add a #define NEW_API or
whatever, which wouldn't be defined in 1.0.2 (which, btw has the exact
same API as Apache did in May, 1995) or 1.1b2 either. So m point is
that instead of adding something new, we might as well make use of an
existing variable. Versions of Apache post-1.1b0 through 1.1b2 have no
way of determining that they are such, and never will. It is only in
future versions that we can make a differentiation. We might as well
do it in the way it was intended to be done, by upping
MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER.

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>