httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: API version #define
Date Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:12:38 GMT
On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> > Shouldn't the API have its own version number if it undergoes
> > significant changes?
> >
> > It's not obvious looking at a module that requires 1.1 if that'll
> > work for 1.1.9 or 1.6
>
> yeah, the API should have a version number, it's the same principle
> as shared libraries.

Um... it does. Has for some time. From http_config.h:

/* Initializer for the first few module slots, which are only
 * really set up once we start running.  Note that the first word
 * is a version check; this should allow us to deal with changes to
 * the API (the server can detect an old-format module, and either
 * handle it back-compatibly, or at least signal an error).
 */

#define MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER 19950525
#define STANDARD_MODULE_STUFF MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER, 0, NULL

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>