httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: virtual hosts failing (fwd)
Date Sun, 21 Apr 1996 18:43:30 GMT
On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> > > uk.imdb.com pointed to docs/Movies  IP 59

> > > servername was movie.pcug.co.uk

Here's the problem.. if I do a "host movie.pcug.co.uk":

movie.pcug.co.uk        CNAME   www.uk.imdb.org
www.uk.imdb.org         CNAME   uk.imdb.org
uk.imdb.org             A       192.68.174.59

Therefore, the uk.imdb.com virtualhost was the same IP as the main
server, so it got ignored except for the Host-generating
browsers. I'd call the original config wrong, as it had a virtual host
and main server pointing to the same IP address. The fix that he did
is fine, or he could have changed the main ServerName to
olive.pcug.co.uk.

Apache's working exactly as it's supposed to, therefore, it's just
your configuration that was a bit screwed up.

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>