httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: virtual hosts failing
Date Sat, 20 Apr 1996 16:18:39 GMT
On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Regarding virtual host configs, it occurs to me that I
> have always used IP addresses to config virtual hosts. (habit)
> This is going to be a problem for me as the Host: header gets
> wider acceptance....

Not really. For one thing, as long as you actually do use seperate IP
addresses, there's no problem, since the Host: header should have
nothing to do with that. It's only virtual hosts that don't have a
matching IP address (the ones that use the main interface) and rely on
the Host: header that need a name. And at any rate, you could still
use an IP address in the <VirtualHost> if you wanted to; the code
actually bases it on the ServerName value and on anything given in a
ServerAlias directive.

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>