httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: virtual hosts failing
Date Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:34:00 GMT
On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> it was defaulting to the main server rather than pciking up
> a virtual host. The "host" header was probably saving the day
> for Netscape users.

Hmm. If I recall how I wrote this correctly, if the IP address given
in or resolved from the name given in the virtual host matches the IP
address resolved from the ServerName directive or (if none is given),
resolved from gethostbyname(), it will not use it as an address-bound
virtual host, only a Host-header-bound one.

So I'd check to make sure the main server has a ServerName directive,
then name sure that the IP address (or addresses) does (or do) not
resolve to the same address as the virtual host's name does.

> The admin there has now made the problem virtual host the main
> server name to fix things.

I'm a bit unclear as to what you mean. Are you saying that making the
main host the virtual host and the virtual host the main host fixed
it? Or did he just remove the virtual host entirely?

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>