httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: conditional HTML
Date Tue, 16 Apr 1996 01:02:55 GMT
On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Tom Tromey wrote:

> In my setup, the configure files and such are at the top level.  I
> didn't update the README and INSTALL files; that is something I'll do
> when these patches make it into the core (for INSTALL there is some
> boilerplate from GNU that we can use)
>
> For most people, typing "configure ; make ; make install" will be
> enough.

I've gotten a chance to take a look at your package, and I think it's
very nice. If you could make a version based on the 1.1b1 preview Mark
Cox created, I'd like to see it included with 1.1.

One note thought, the getwd() handling needs to be fixed. On my system
(HP-UX 9.04), I had to add the following to conf.h:

#ifndef HAVE_GETWD
#define getwd(d) getcwd(d,MAX_STRING_LEN)
#endif

This was neccessary to get it to compile.

On this note, I've noticed a lot of the optional function definitions
(strcasecmp and so forth), although I don't need most of them, seem to have
disapeared from your source, even though configure checks for their
presence (at least, it says it does). IMO, this is a bad idea. Is
there a reason you did that? Presumably, the function defnitions were
there because some systems need them, the ones with the appropriate
#defines in conf.h

> I've never understood why NCSA httpd/Apache want to be built in their
> eventual install directory.  In my setup, you use "make install" to
> install everything once it is compiled.  Then you can delete the
> source and build trees if you want.

Hmm. Okay. That'd be fine. I would, however, not like to see
/usr/local as the default prefix, as I don't think /usr/local/bin,
/usr/local/cgi-bin, /usr/local/conf, etc... is the proper location for
the files. I vote for /usr/local/apache for the default.

Oh. And the Makefile in the support/ directory doesn't seem to compile
the C files there, and make install doesn't seem to copy the files
(any of them) to the installed location. I'm not sure if this is a bug
or a feature.

> There are still some install issues I haven't dealt with, eg:
>
> * Should the default configuration files ("blah-conf.dist") be
>   rewritten at build time to know the install location?  This is easy
>   to do, if it is desirable.

I think that certainly we should at least copy the -dist files there,
overriting existing ones, but leaving the -dist suffix there. That
way, if people want to roll their own, they can always have an
up-to-date copy. I do think, though, that if the files (or, more
specifically, if httpd.conf - the other two are optional) is not
installed, it would not be a bad thing if it customized the
directories and hostnames, and installed them.

I also think it'd be nice to have a start-server and stop-server
script written and thrown into the mix, along the lines of

#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/apache/httpd -f/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

and

#!/bin/sh

kill `cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid`

Relatively simple, but especially the latter may be harder for novice
users to figure out, and having nicely labeled start and stop
"buttons" (if you will), IMO, makes for a more easy-to-use server
package. I'm not that familiar with autoconf and make, but it
shouldn't be too hard to have make install plug in the appropriate
directories and spit out the files, yes?

> * Should these files even be installed?  What should happen if you
>   already have Apache installed?

It should definitely leave them where they are and not touch them. No
question about that.

(I have a feeling every other word in this letter was spelled wrong,
although I can't seem to pin down anything firm... if that's the case,
I apologize. My fingers don't seem to be going where I tell them right
now.)

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>