httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: conditional HTML
Date Sat, 13 Apr 1996 01:35:14 GMT
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> One thought that I have had in the back of my mind is to split the
> modules into their own directory. Teaching configure to build a
> list from the modules in this directory, and perhaps a --with
> tag to point it to a directory full of local modules would do the
> trick.

I'm not sure about that, but one thing I think would be nice is a
rearrangement of the way Apache's files are packed for the
distribution. The src directory is getting rather large, enough so
that a ls, after one has compiled, will more than fill a screen, which
could cause a user to miss the README and INSTALL files.

I suggest the following:

We move all user-related files (README, INSTALL, Configuration,
Makefile, etc) to the root directory. This way they don't even have to
look at the source if they don't want to, nor do they have to figure
out where it is. They can just type 'make' and go. I'd also like to
see an autoconf-like setup. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the
one Tom Tromey mentioned, but something like that would be good.

As well, I'd like to see the non-'core' (i.e. NCSA 1.3) modules moved
into their own directory, modules/ maybe, along with a file to
configure them. This makes sense, as it makes the modules more
modular, and gives (I think) the end user more of a sense that it's
okay to fiddle with them, without breaking or damaging the server.

Finially, have the compilation dump the binary into the root directory
along with everything else. This, as well, brings the user away from
the source, as I'm sure many of the users of Apache (tens of thousands
of them) are not programmers, and have no desire to be. Also, this
makes someone worried about disk space (Apache 1.1 is almost 4 megs
fully compiled) who does an "rm -rf src" (and saves two megs) not
shoot themselves in the foot.

I think this would all make Apache more user-friendly. Thoughts?

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>