httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation on AddHandler
Date Wed, 10 Apr 1996 00:28:19 GMT
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> The reason is to keep editor backups, foo.gif.bak files left by paint
> programs, and the like, from getting picked up and treated by default
> as text/plain variants --- something which annoyed the hell out of me
> when I first did the content negotation code.  (Actually, this was
> done at drtr's suggestion --- my first approach to the problem was
> to have MultiViews ignore files whose names matched an IndexIgnore
> wildcard, which violates modularity and is generally ugly as hell.
> This was in the very early days --- around 0.3 or 0.4).

Ah... this makes sense. But it just alerted me to the fact that my
rewrite of find_ct() will give foo.gif.bak a content type of
image/gif, something which, while it may be technically correct, is
probably not the right thing to do. So I've just patched and committed a
fix for this.

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>