httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Apache cannot handle multiple encoding types per document (fwd)
Date Mon, 08 Apr 1996 12:59:54 GMT
On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

> 	[Unlike NCSA], Apache cannot handle multiple encoding types per
> document.  For example, the following URL...
>
> 	http://www.friday.com/~bbum/Urlifier-1_7.bundle.tar.gz
>
> 	... leads to a file that SHOULD have TWO encoding headers; x-gzip
> and x-gtar and a custom content type of application/bundle-MAB.  This state
> was created with the following lines in srm.conf...

Hmm. While I'm not quite sure about the specifics (in my opinion, a
tarfile is a content type, not an encoding), you are correct that
when multiple encodings are applied, they should be denoted as such in
the Content-encoding header. That Apache does not do this might be
characterized as a bug. It's almost certainly a missing feature.

However, Apache 1.1, of which a public beta should be out sometime in
April, will contain a rewritten find_ct() function which should
provide a fix for this problem. Hopefully, it will work for your
situation.

Thanks!

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
The Apache Project <http://www.apache.org>