httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Per VirtualHost config files
Date Sun, 31 Mar 1996 07:48:14 GMT
On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I guess I am not following this because I don't understand why
> I would want to do it this way.

I think the problem is that you were very vauge in your original patch
description. What you said was the patch "adds the ability to have
separate config files for each virtual host." Which is an ability that
already exists, as was pointed out.

What the patch actually does, at least so far as I can tell from
reading it, is it lets you specify a directory (relative to the server
root). This directory is scanned for files ending in ".vconf", which
are then processed.

I see what you're trying to accomplish, but I think it's kind of half
way there. I don't like the patch as it is, it's too specific yet not
quite there. I'd either make it so that it adds the <VirtualHost> by
itself, using the filename or something for the name
(e.g. www.apache.org.vconf), or make it non-virtual host
related. i.e. make a directive that scanned a directory for files
(maybe ending in .conf - but not .vconf), and processed them. This
might actually be useful, as there are other things you might want to
do with that as well. Maybe you want to be able to switch some other
directives without editing the config files, but just moving them from
place to place. A modular config file, I think, is what you want.

> What I am trying to accomplish is a config format which allows
> me to one virtualhost by adding a single file to the virtualhost
> configuration directory. This is a much friendlier scheme for a
> configuration interface than having to deal with a huge file
> with many different/unrelated directives, or one large file full
> of <VirtualHost ...> tags.

If you're wary of having that many VirtualHost tags... I'm kind of
scared to think how many you have. :)

--

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>

    "Right. Fair. Decent. Either the person saying them believes in
     those concepts or not. If not, then those words mean that he's
     got somebody standing behind me with a knife in his hand. And if
     he *does* beleive them, then those words mean I'm going to win."

                                - From _Xenocide_, by Orson Scott Card