httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: Further evidence of configure's shortcomings
Date Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:30:52 GMT
> Try compiling patch 2.1 under Irix 5.3. You end up with alloca unresolved.
> And configure has even tested for it (it claims).
>
> Its this kind of thing that winds me up about configure.

This generally has nothing to do with configure.  All configure will do
is create an options.h or config.h file with a line like:

#define HAVE_ALLOCA 1

If the moron programmer calls alloca() without checking the #define, then
you will get an unresolved.  I would not call this a shortcoming of
configure though.

Then again, in this particular case it may be a configure problem; I
haven't checked.

-Rasmus