httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: "Competition"
Date Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:55:55 GMT
> The waters are going to get muddier still.  Oracle's new product
> range includes 'free' bundled RDBMS and an above average browser.
> I'm not sure what influence the increasingly impressive (and free)
> Postgres95 has had on this move.  These developments open the door
> slightly to the scary world of peer-peer HTTP.  Basically a whole
> new range of tools to build Web-NG applications from (and all my
> buddies at MITRE and CalTec are buying USRobotics micro-newtons,
> putting webbrowsers on them and plugging them into their Nokia
> mobiles!).

Well, with Adam Sussman adding Postgres95 support to PHP/FI and my
current emphasis on making an Apache PHP module there should be a good
chance of having something which will compete with these "RDBMS-enabled"
servers out there.  PHP currently supports both mSQL and Postgres95 and
others will be supported at some point as well.

It is quite seamless as it is right now even without the module support.
With a mod_actions redirect, for Joe User it appears to be built directly
into the server.

-Rasmus