httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: SSI replacement for Apache. (fwd)
Date Thu, 25 Apr 1996 01:16:16 GMT
> I use this on us.imdb.com to look for a COOKIE header to decide
> if some CGI needs to be included. It's already saved the server from
> running millions of unecessary CGI includes... worth every penny.

mod_php will let you do this as well, but it is much larger, so should
probably only be used if you have more complex things to SSI.  With mod_php
you could for example look at the cookie a client sends and look up their
record in a dbm, mSQL or Postgres95 database all without forking a CGI.

mod_php also supports RFC-1867 file uploading which makes for some cool
file archiving tools all written in SSI.  The file archive at
http://www.vex.net/php/files is wriiten using php talking to an mSQL backend
to organize and display the files.  The site isn't using mod_php quite yet,
but the features of the CGI version and the module version of PHP are
identical.

-Rasmus